- United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG)
- The Global Taskforce of Local and Regional Governments (GTF)
Local and regional governments, through United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) and the Global Taskforce (GTF), reaffirmed in Habitat III its determination to mobilize the means required to implement the global goals of the New Development Agenda as well as the SDGs, through a revitalized partnership for sustainable development, which we call: 'the localization of the global agendas'.
Our approach to localization recognizes that the New Urban Agenda is a key enabling instruments to meet the global objectives which should be grounded in local action and allow local governments and respective communities to be full partners in policy development and implementation.
Localizing' means taking into account sub-national contexts, challenges, opportunities and governments in all the global agendas, from the setting of goals and targets, to implementation, monitoring and reporting. Localizing isn't the parachuting of global goals into local contexts but implementing local agendas in cities and territories to reach local and global goals. Localizing is a political process based on harnessing local opportunities, priorities and ideas.
UCLG on behalf of the GTF and in partnership with UNDP and UN-Habitat have developed an on line toolbox http://www.localizingthesdgs.org
The networking event will showcase the main actions promoted by the GTF to:
- Facilitate learning, decentralized cooperation and exchange among local governments;
- Advocate for increased national and international support for, and recognition of, local and regional governments in the achievement of the global agendas and raise-awareness of the global goals among local and regional governments so that they can implement them;
- Bring local monitoring and reporting information to the global fora to voice local and regional governments interests and bring the experiences and visions to complement central government reporting;
- Identify support and highlight successful implementation efforts at local level.