- United Nations Regional Commissions
- United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP), United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA)
As the regional outposts of the United Nations, the UN Regional Commissions (RCs) play a key role in facilitating localization of the 2030 Agenda and the NUA. RCs are uniquely positioned to translate these global agreements into regional development plans and to help national and sub-national governments localize and advance critical areas of sustainable urban development. Due to their intergovernmental nature and proximity to member states, RCs serve as a crucial link between the global level on the one hand and national and sub-national levels on the other hand, working towards a coherent and integrated implementation of global agreements on all levels.
Convening high level representatives from member States with key stakeholders, this event will highlight the ways in which RCs can help catalyze their various partners to support the implementation, follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda and the NUA, according to each region’s specific priorities and contexts. The event will provide an opportunity to present different implementation strategies to a broader base of constituencies and to promote and explore multiple forms of collaboration among these stakeholders.
More specifically, the event will:
(1) Identify and discuss country and regional perspectives and priorities regarding the implementation, follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda and the NUA, including harmonization of different approaches;
(2) Facilitate exchange and dialogue among member States, stakeholders, RCs as well as the wider UN System regarding regional approaches, methodologies, good practices and lessons learned in the implementation, follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda and the NUA;
(3) Explore opportunities for more effective multi-stakeholder partnerships for collaboration regarding the means of implementation, follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda and the NUA and promote intraregional and interregional cooperation.