- Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development
The event aims at promoting how key national policies (the National Urban Policy and Action Plan; the National Housing Policy and the National Sanitation Policy) has contributed and continues to guide interventions contributing to the achievement of the Agenda 2030.
Ghana is rapidly urbanizing; in 2000 the Population and Housing Census (PHC) of the Ghana Statistical Service classified the country as 52 per cent urbanized. Local Authorities in Ghana are classified as Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs). The Government through its relevant agencies committed to addressing the attendant urban challenges and harness its potentials recognizes the importance of Policies as drivers of development interventions.
The implementation of the New Urban Agenda and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals require strong national commitment and the necessary enabling environment for all actors to play their roles effectively. The National Urban Policy and Action Plan; the National Sanitation Policy and the National Housing Policy of Ghana provide frameworks for inclusion, sustainable development, poverty reduction, local economic growth and improved service delivery.
This Event is designed to share with participants the achievements of the Government of Ghana and commitment to implementation of the New Urban Agenda and achievement of the SDGs (agenda 2030) through strong and policies that were developed in a participatory approach.
The event will also showcase how Development partners such as the Cities Alliance have supported the implementation of especially the Urban Policy in Ghana. All these efforts are aligned with implementing effectively the New Urban Agenda and achieving Agenda 2030.
Expected Highlights of Events:
1. Launch of the Cities Alliance's commissioned study on the Ghana National Urban Policy – the Gap Analysis
2. The International Launch of the Sanitation Campaign and Initiative in Ghana
3. Signing of MoU between UN-Habitat and the Government of Ghana on Commitments to implementing the New Urban Agenda and delivering on Agenda 2030
4. Signing of MoU between MLGRD and Cities Alliance on Commitments to Achieving the New Urban Agenda through Local Authorities of Ghana